Open Source Case Study: WordPress
WordPress, an open source website solution, offers clients many advantages as the website platform. Here are six important features and benefits of utilizing WordPress:
- Open Source. Completely free for commercial or private use, with hundreds of volunteers contributing to evolution and improvement of the WordPress core.
- User Friendly. There is no need for ongoing input of web designer, or webmasters, to make small changes in the website content. Content can be easily managed without having to learn programming languages like HTML or CSS.
- Flexible and Extensible. Thousands of plugins and themes are available to make WordPress the perfect fit for clients. Plugins commonly used include those which integrate the website with social media platforms like Twitter, FaceBook, and LinkedIn or build mailing lists with email marketing partners like MailChimp.
- Support Options. In addition to the free WordPress Forum, where users offer each other quick effective advice, the OSS community includes thousands of tutorials, videos, blogs, and chats for support issues.
- Proven. As of February 2017, WordPress was being used by more than 27.4% of the top 10 million websites, supporting more than 60 million websites total. Notable multinational companies use WordPress for their website development, including The Walt Disney Company and Time Inc.
- Portable. Unlike development tools available through Shopify, Wix, GoDaddy and others, WordPress sites are easily transferred between developers and web hosting companies.
Because of these advantages to the client, all of our website solutions are implemented using the WordPress open source core.